The International Purple Festival, a collaboration between the Goa Office of State Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities, the Directorate of Social Welfare, and the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, began in Panaji, Goa, on 8 January 2024, aiming to promote empowerment and change societal perspectives.
1. Leadership Presence Chief Minister Dr. Pramod Sawant expressed pride in Goa’s unique initiatives for the disabled community, citing praise from Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He emphasized inclusivity, lauding the diverse talents of Persons with Disabilities.
2. A milestone was achieved with the launch of India’s first cloud-based IVRS for Disability Information Line (DIL). The 24×7 service offers information on 21 disabilities, accessible through the toll-free number 1800222014.
3. The launch of the Purple Fest Playbook provided an overview of the event’s achievements and outlined actions for accessibility before, during, and after the festival.
4. Purple Anthem ‘Dhumal’ The Opening Ceremony featured the Purple Anthem, ‘Dhumal,’ showcasing performances by Persons with Disabilities and renowned creators from the Indian Music Industry, symbolizing unity and inclusivity.
5. A dedicated channel, PURPLE TV BHARAT, was introduced to showcase ideas, success stories, interviews, and achievements of the Person with Disability Community globally.
6. The festival concluded with the Purple Rain, featuring diverse performances, including the international Mando by children from the National Association for the Blind, traditional Goan folk dance Mussal, classical dance ‘Saraswati Vandana,’ and an engaging performance by Hema Sardesaai.
The day began with the Deaf Blindness Conclave at Gasper Dias, which covered important subjects such as mental health, communication rights, and empowerment.
A panel at the Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industries discussed ‘Championing inclusion,’ with an emphasis on experiences hiring people with disabilities and cultivating inclusion in the workplace.
The Purple Exhibition transformed into a bustling bazaar of diversity, highlighting India’s cultural richness through the NDFDC’s Divya Kala Mela.
Stay Update with FELA NEWS!