In light of the recent spike in dengue cases across the nation, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, today presided over a high-level meeting to assess the dengue situation in India and the public health system’s readiness for dengue prevention, containment, and management.
On the national Dengue condition, the Union Health Minister was briefed. Dr. Mandaviya emphasised the difficulty presented by the country’s rising dengue case count and stressed the significance of being dengue-prepared. He gave the go-ahead for the officials to boost dengue preventive, containment, and management efforts while being fully prepared.
Dr. Mandaviya emphasised that the Union Government has given the states all essential assistance for screening kits as well as financial assistance for fogging and IEC initiatives. Those who work in healthcare have received training. He urged states to follow the Center’s recommendations for dengue prevention and containment.
The Union Health Minister also stated that adequate fund is provided by the Central Government to the States under Program Implementation Plan (PIP) for following activities to prevent and control Dengue:
- Surveillance – Disease and Entomological Surveillance
- Case management- Effective management of cases and avert deaths
- Laboratory diagnosis – Procurement of ELISA based NS1 antigen test kit (1kit=96 test) for early diagnosis of cases. (IgM test kit is a central supply through NIV Pune)
- Vector Control & management- To eliminate the vector breeding and source reduction activities engagement of Domestic Breeding Checkers (DBCs) and ASHA. Budget is provisioned for procurement of fogging machines.
- Insecticides: Procurement of insecticides (larvicides and adulticides)
- Capacity building- Training, Strengthening Human Resource and Operational research
- Behaviour Change Communication – Social mobilization and IEC
- Inter-sectoral coordination – involvement of different line departments
- Monitoring and Supervision – Analysis of reports, review, field visit and feedback
Entomological component – Zonal Entomological units (Integrated VBD):
- Logistics for Entomological Lab Strengthening
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Mobility support for field activities
- Hiring of Entomologist and insect collectors
Senior officials and public health specialists attended the meeting together with Smt. L S Changsan, AS & MD (NHM), Health Ministry, Smt. Aradhana Patnaik, Joint Secretary, Dr. Manashvi Kumar, Joint Secretary, and other officials.
Stay Update with FELA NEWS|